Desert Island Computing

Thinking about @neauoire’s categories of Frugal, Salvage and Collapse Computing I had an idea: Desert Island Computing is the sort of computing you might do in the Desert Island Discs scenario - shipwrecked and alone with the minimum of possessions, what special pleading might you make in the direction of computing.

And my thinking is this: such a computer is not about communication, of any sort, which is a big difference from the everyday perception of computers today. What might we do with an isolated computer, and which one might we choose?

My own first machine was a Compukit UK101, a single board micro with Basic and a very rudimentary machine code monitor, shipped as a kit. It’s certainly standalone, and it’s relatively primitive - with a soldering iron and some spare parts it’s very repairable, as any kit would be.

I’d be able to do all the same things on this in a desert island context as I could do back in the day - a bit of Basic programming, a minimal amount of hand-assembled machine code programming. My friend wrote a single-stepping monitor on it, and an assembler and disassembler would be possible. Mine had 8k of RAM, which is a bit of a limitation.

My second machine was a BBC Micro, eventually expanded with a floppy interface and two disk drives. It has 32k of RAM and the Basic has a built in assembler - much more capable, in a sense, but only by degree. More convenient too.

Both of those need mains power and a TV. So perhaps another candidate would be a Psion 3, another of my favourite computers. It has applications built in, including a spreadsheet and calculator, and also is programmable in OPL.

What might I do with a computer? Hopefully, I’d program, do some mathematical or graphical explorations. Perhaps I’d have the self-discipline to write some useful application, like a compiler. Just maybe I’d try to write a game. Possibly I’d write - a story, or a memoir, or an encyclopaedia according to me. Perhaps I could write a wiki and then fill it with thoughts and observations.

6 Likes

Lovely thread idea!

I’d probably make some procedural drawing, maybe music. I’m sure I’d mess with fractals and maths. Maybe I’d do an inventory of what’s on the island, maybe I’d build a wiki of the seashells that I find on the beach, or which food is poisonous.

The first ever computer that I ever touched was this one

I’d love to write a little visicalc clone for Uxn at some point, I wonder if there are some good implementation guides out there…

3 Likes

Nice! I’m glad it has Basic. And an 80k word spell checker… I did wonder about preloaded static data. At one point I had a pirated Bible on my psion 3, but that’s not because I’m any great student of that text. It does fit the Desert Island Disc standard-issue though, that has a Bible or other appropriate holy book, as well as the complete works of Shakespeare. An e-reader could be preloaded with a lot of public domain goodness. And then, there was this:

We could perhaps have Knuth, and the collected works of Martin Gardner.

4 Likes

It’s a great idea, but the engineer in me just sees stumbling blocks - the biggest one might be power, so a low power - solar/battery option might be a consideration…

However, going back in-time, the first computer I really used (not the first I actually used) was the Apple II, so Apple plus a TV/Monitor of some sort and I could happily spend hours programming little toys, games and so on.

The first computer I actually owned was a Sinclair MK14. 256 bytes of RAM, keyboard and calculator style display. Might be fun, but very limiting.

After that? Not sure, but I have a Tandy TRS-80 pocket computer (aka Sharp PC1211) One line display and usable keyboard runs BASIC. Then BBC Micro…

What might I have the most fun with? It might be a curious toss-up between the Apple and BBC Micro… After seeing Logo, I wrote a turtle graphics interpreter language on the Apple II way back - I’d like to ressurect that project and maybe make it a little faster (it’s all in BASIC - and I can run it today on a real Apple II and it did surprise me just how slow it was!) but who knows.

Maybe I’d just swim and catch fishes…

-Gordon

1 Like

If I didn’t know myself better, I’d imagine I could spend time bootstrapping a Forth interpreter, or something like that. Lisp might be possible. Maybe a tiny Basic. I think noodling about with fractals and similar, perhaps a prime spiral, that’s probably my limit.

(Edit: I wouldn’t worry about the power supply aspect - it’s very much a thought experiment! If a wind-up OLPC existed, that’s a decent enough computer and self-contained. And it can boot to Forth!)

Hi
If I was stuck on a desert island I would want an HF or SATCOM radio with a solar power station plus antenna, cable etc. so I could get off the island! I mean I like computers and all but I think I would miss modern society & technology rather soon and a stand alone computer is not going to be much help when you’re starving, stuck out in the rain, getting eaten by the local wildlife, etc. Make my computer a SATCOM phone

Hmm, I think possibly that doesn’t address itself to the question! (Asking for a lifeboat is out of scope for Desert Island Discs.)

I’m particular interested in thoughts about back-to-basics computing which aren’t trying to reinvent social media or streaming video or multiplayer gaming. If someone can’t imagine living without their smartphone, I’d think they’d find it difficult to meet my challenge.

But I am looking for interesting ways to use isolated computers - which is the original state of computing, of course, and just coincidentally happens to match my interests.

1 Like

On a desert island, I can’t think of any use for a general purpose computer.
A e-book reader filled with how to books, would be very useful.
How to cook, how to fish, how to kill a wild pig all come to mind.
Ben.

1 Like

Entertainment!

Well… Some of us can already do that… But when not doing that I can (and have - although maybe that’s not something to admit to!) waste, er, enjoy hours and hours with a computer…

-Gordon

Well, I guess, for practical purpose, this computer may be about recording and analysing data of all kind. (E.g., observing oceanic streams so that we may successfully set sails on a raft in the distant future.) So some robust and readily available storage may be of top concern, since this is a desert island, and we may opt for cassettes, known for their proven versatility in hot climate. Probably a dual drive, one for our programs and another one for recording data. Graphics may not be on top of the list (there may be plenty of opportunities to play Cong Bongo in real life), but some kind of textual display (Zork!) may be fine, as well as a keyboard (Zork!). Portability may be of advantage (so that we can record our data on the go – and play Zork, while we’re at it).

So I opt for the MCM/70, your desert island companion since 1974.

(Plenty of spare time on our desert island may also provide the ideal opportunity for finally learning APL, which comes in ROM. Frankly, it may be just too hot for typing any of those verbose languages. And it’s next to ideal for processing all this ocean current data…)

4 Likes

You still need a solar panel with any computer, but the the “Husky hunter” is the only one I know that will handle a swim in salt water.
https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/husky2.html

Ben.

4 Likes

On an Island someone can use a Water computer. Just nice to look at them

1 Like

Lots of activity in my old grey cells on this thread - making me think of 2 different scenarios - one might be some sort of general purpose computing device, but at a retro or minimal level, the other might be something to tinker with…

One such device that fits in the former scenario might be the Epson HX-20. It’s battery powered (NiCd originally, but some hackers are retro fitting other cells) has a small display and good keyboard (for a portable system in the early 80’s) The display is 4 lines of 20 characters or 120 x 32 pixels in graphics mode. It comes with BASIC on-board, but also a machine code monitor allowing you to enter machine code. (the CPU is a variant of the 6801). On board mini cassette storage too. I did use one briefly - to write a few demo programs for a local shop who was selling them at the time. It was the first properly portable device and easy to carry about.

As for the device to tinker with? Well a soldering iron, some stripboard and a good supply or retro CPUs and support chips and off I go :slight_smile:

-Gordon

1 Like

Let’s hope your desert island has repair facilities, because the MCM/70 is a little bit … fiddly inside. I saw one (possibly the one pictured) up on Josh Bensadon’s repair bench, and the combination of massive rechargeable batteries, high-voltage plasma display and grumpy old cassette drives would provide years of fun …

1 Like

Since we’re talking about fluidics… Here are some more eccentric things

Air Powered Gramophone

This remarkable gramophone is powered by a hot-air engine instead of the usual clockwork. It was found at the National Gin Museum in Hasselt, Belgium. The link is that the engine is heated by burning alcohol, though not, I assume, gin. It was called “The Maestrofoon”, and according to the label on the case, was made by Paillard in Switzerland, around 1915. It is amazing when a manufacturer’s label remains in place on an antique item for over 100 years. Label printing today is done by digital printing machines but who knows if those labels will last 100 years!

Moss Electricity

The thing is, making these plant fuel cells are crazy simple! So I am here to show you how to make your plant fuel cell. The research uses moss, which blew my mind off first because these plants don’t have roots!

5 Likes

Of course, this was meant to be read with a grain of salt.
For increased realism, I’d probably go for one of the Kyocera portables (TRS-80 Model 100, etc). However, while they are very robust and have quality capacitors, they also have this leaking NiCad backup battery and do not run without it. (So you can’t simply get rid of it.) Also, they do lack built-in mass storage, but the NEC PC-8201A has multiple memory banks, which can be utilized for storage. On the plus-side, we may have been lucky and rescued an entire box of AA batteries, when we stranded, thus not having to worry about producing our own electricity.
Anyway, I’d prefer a self-contained form factor. The Epson Geneva (PX-8) may be nice and even comes with CP/M and a micro-cassette drive.

Photo:

1 Like

Speaking of limited LCD displays, I had a quick go on a Z88 at the weekend, which has BBC Basic, and even though it predates the NC100 (also with BBC Basic) by a few years, it has a much better display. But a worse keyboard. So I’ll stick with my NC100. (The NC200 is more capable, but less beautiful. I suppose that makes me a bad person.)

2 Likes

These A4-sized portables are definitely desert island material. 80 character lines are also a significant improvement over the Kyocera portables. (I don’t think the display itself was the limiting factor, but the driver chips available that limited those to 40 cols. Only a few years later, Tandy and NEC came out with successors featuring entire screens. But what these did win in screen real estate they also did lose in terms of charm and appeal.)

Sadly, I missed out on a full-fledged PX-8 system, including printer and extension unit for a very reasonable price a few years ago. (Apparently, it came from a British lab and had been still in use until recently.) So I can’t say anything on it based on personal experience.

2 Likes

Likely would go with something boring like a TRS-80 M100.

I’m just going under the assumption that basic needs are met and this is a hobby piece and you have a way of powering it (either windmill, water wheel, solar, or the like.)

Would need a printer because I would want to print out anythig nI want kept, and a weather station set of insturments the thign could plug into for the sake of data tracking.

The REALLY boring answer is a modern e-reader but frankly I want to write while I’m out there waiting to see what the fish weir comes up with or while the fire burns down.

1 Like