The real history of Gary Kildall: the man that could have been Bill Gates

It’s a fascinating story, and one that I don’t know has been done the full justice on YouTube before. There’s a lot of ‘Gary went flying and lost out to Gates’, but many know that story isn’t true, that’s the Bill Gates version. This is a three part docu-series on Gary Kildall, including six months worth of research. Includes little-seen footage from Tom Rollander (Gary’s best friend and employee #1 at Digital Research Incorporated). If you don’t know this story, you should give it a watch! It’s got it all: technological innovation, rivalry, backstabbing and drama! How there’s not been a Hollywood movie over this story, I’ll never know!
https://youtu.be/59D1L7xj8eM - Part 1 of 3.

It might be nice to say that this is your video in the blurb here.

Apologies, I thought I did and now I look back I clearly didn’t! I meant to say that!

2 Likes

I would argue that Gary could never have been Bill Gates for a very simple reason: he didn’t want to. He wanted to focus on the technical side and left the business side to others. See Woz for a hardware equivalent.

1 Like

There was something of interest that Alan Sugar (AMSTrad, Lord Sugar, “The Apprentice”) said which was that Engineers don’t make good businessmen…

And I know from my own personal circumstances that he’s right, having effectively had 2 businesses I started taken from me by businessmen more skilled in the art of business bullshit than me…

I’ve also worked for several small companies founded by engineers and watched them go pear-shaped when the business suits came in…

So there’s something in that… Who knows.

-Gordon

1 Like