RM Nimbus Basic revival (64 bits)

Nearby, @timadams introduces his project:

…and this seems quite interesting to me, although I’ve never used a Research Machines machine. (I have seen one or two!)

(Edit: I reposted over on stardot to broaden the audience.)

2 Likes

Thanks for reposting @EdS . I’ll be posting updates here as the project develops!

3 Likes

Quick update:

1. A preliminary release is available now with a very limited set of features. I got stuck writing the evaluator and - horror of horrors - had to read a book and learn stuff, then refactor. Paid off in the end and it’s just hilarious to see RM Basic evaluating trig functions to 16 decimal places!
  2. For the history buffs I was lucky enough to speak to some people from RM, in particular Tim Pearson and Tim Nuttal who is the “Tim” referred to in the string, and put together a brief history of the original RM Basic.
  3. I’m knackered, so parking this up until autumn then I’ll get to work on the graphics and text commands.

If anyone has a go please drop me a line. It’s a very long way from a full implementation but after all the work done getting this far I thought it’d be good to let anyone who might be interested have a play while I recover some energy/motivation! Cheers folks!

1 Like

Thanks for that history write-up, @timadams, very interesting.

And thanks for sharing your work so far, as you take a break. It’s certainly worth avoiding exhaustion.