PSION 8088 laptops - MC line

The price disappeared after I bought the MC600 from the Pulsterā€¦ I seemed to me that it was the last one availableā€¦

I still enjoying using it. But it is the DOS model (without the GUI).

3 Likes

davidb

For that reason Iā€™d love to see an MC400 emulator :wink: The user interface is clean and simple and I would love to see it preserved for posterity in some sort of emulation environment.

Iā€™ve imaged the ROM of one of my dead machinesā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Edit: Ah, I see youā€™ve already started! I didnā€™t see initially that the post below is yoursā€¦

I found an interesting recent post about an adventure which may yet bear fruit:

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s me - Iā€™ve started but my skills run out at:

:wink:

I have the ROM image, I have the HDK/SDK from Alex Brownā€™s Psion Documentation Project (via his Hackaday page ā€œThe Last Psionā€) and thatā€™s about it :-d

And by the way, these machine do not use the 8088 as the title suggests. In common with the Series 3/3a, HC & Workabout ranges they utilise the 80C86.

1 Like

Looks like an emulator might be starting to come together - watch the action over on stardot with Pernod and @zedstarr finding their wayā€¦

1 Like

Looked promising:

MC400_V2.60F_boot_splash_0001

but brick wall now hit with lack of documentation for the custom ASICs :frowning:

Iā€™m contemplating whether itā€™s worth trying twitter/LinkedIn/Facebook groups to see if any ex-Psion/Symbian engineers can help. But itā€™s ~30 years ago this stuff was current :thinking:

3 Likes

This is great!

I think it might worth to tryā€¦

Perhaps slightly OT, but as Iā€™d somehow missed that the MC line was a precursor to the whole palmtop adventure, as penance I offer this history:
3-Lib History of Psion

3 Likes

I remember picking up a glossy promotional brochure for the MC line - it was A4 sized and when you opened it up it looked just like the MC400, full-page pictures of the screen on the left page/keyboard on the right. This must have been 1989/1990 ish. I was instantly hooked :smiley: At that time having a truly portable computer this size blew me away! Iā€™d used ā€œluggableā€ PCs at work (something like this luggable Compaq 386 ) and knew smaller was better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally got round to re-purposing the keyboard from the dead MC400 as a USB keyboard - thanks to Frank Adamsā€™ Teensy LC sketch I worked out the matrix and managed to hack it around into actually working as a USB keyboard :wink: [Apologies for the slow one-handed typing - not easy when holding the phone in the other hand :smiley: ]

My Teensy LC code is here

5 Likes

A little more progress:

5 Likes

My MC400 collection is now up to 4! ā€¦but all 4 have LCD faults:

2 of them have serious ā€œscreen rotā€ (or LCD ā€œcancerā€ or ā€œbleedā€ depending on who you ask!) - looks like mechanical failure of the frontmost layer (polariser?)

1 has a screen that is completely off/dead - I havenā€™t looked but surely thatā€™s just a cable/connector fault.

1 has a 2 or 3 pixel wide line of dead pixels halfway up the screen - I think is again a connection issue between the PCB and the glass substrate (I remember these little jelly pads with carbon conductors in the when taking apart LCD screens in my youth :slight_smile: )

1 of the machineā€™s keyboards had been battered, it looks concave in the middle and another machine has a really quiet speaker.

Surely I can piece together 1 good machine from the 4ā€¦ but I need t set aside a couple of days maybe to do it properly.

For central creeping blackness, one suggested solution is warmth - face down in sunlight, on a radiator, or in an oven on a very low heat - see the final two minutes of this video:

the success recipe seems to be 90min @ 85C, where small temperature changes made a huge difference

(via)

Dead rows or columns are of course something else - perhaps a failed flexible connector?

And any creeping blackness from the edges of an LCD could be a leak or a seal failure.

Thanks, Iā€™ll try that.

Someone also sent me a link to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyspNW3G-yE

Which is basically rubbing with a cotton bud, I wonder if the friction causes enough localised heat to do a similar thing? I tried rubbing my screen with a cotton bud but it only seems to have redistributed the splodges, not got rid of them.

1 Like

after a 90 min session at 85C, then a 90 min session at 95C:

All that seems to have happened so far is the blotches have coalesced :thinking:

I baked the whole assembly - there are 8 x 3.3uF 50V electrolytics on the PCB - if the baking fixes the screen theyā€™ll definitely need replacing.

Hmm. I wouldnā€™t go any hotter, but it might be worth one or two more cycles? Comparing photos will tell you whether itā€™s making progress in the right direction.

two more 90 min cycles at ~85C

not much changeā€¦

Is it a bit smaller? It looks like it might beā€¦

Iā€™d say so, as well. But not as much that it would be really encouragingā€¦

2 Likes

Last week I was on a work trip in Central London and couldnā€™t resist visiting Psionā€™s old London HQā€¦

Some updates on the emulation effort:

https://zedstarr.com/2023/02/10/back-to-the-source-taking-an-emulated-mc200-back-to-psions-old-hq-in-harcourt-st/

3 Likes