Interfacing modern MCU's to older hardware

Got some action… although its same excitement level when I tell my partner that I got a LED to blink :smiley:

High and low address decode is working - I manage to intercept the memory bus reading the RTC address. Although nothing is there yet, its a good promise. 0x DCxxxx are all for a clock! … tons of wasted address spaces.

bbb_rtc

1 Like

Congratulations! Partial address decoding is a good trick - it’s not wasteful, until you find you’re out of addresses. And then you can adjust your tactics.

I have had to revise quite alot; the logic level converters are a source of pain and lots of noise, of which that noise was being sent down the power rails. A ton of decoupling has been added and next I going to try other level shifting methods. I have added to my blog of trials and tribulations.

1 Like

Findings : Using a Zener clamp for level shifting resulted in a failure… or a success in learning. (I prefer the latter) - The generic 3v3 Zeners just cant do the speeds - also adding a ton of capacitance.

Yellow trace is output to Beaglebone… Cyan is 5V logic input…

1 Like

Wow, I knew Zener diodes added a lot of capacitance, but that’s wild.

A change of tact…

redesigning to use 74LVX conponents on the bus interface with standard 3.3V logic on the board only. I was hoping to use 5V until the final stages… but it doesn’t seem like a good idea anymore :slight_smile:

74LVX244 for the address inputs and 74LVX245 for the bidirectional data bus.

Soldered the new arrivals… wow they were a pain… there was one casualty… and one soldered backwards… (ho hum)

Got the 245 and 244’s on adapters.

2 Likes

Version 2 of the prototype taking shape… All 3.3V logic and annoyingly small packages :smiley:

The 4 muxed control/Data lines… One for RW/AE/LDS/UDS and the other 3 are Address lines 0…23
the 74xx137 is a 3-to-8-Decoder so I can use 4 lines and select one of the OE lines on the 74xx244 inputs.

Using the 74LVX244 as they have level shifters built in.