DEC Wars Past To Present

Does anyone know where I might find the latest iteration of this story? I read one version when I was in college back in the mid eighties, and my copy got lost a long time ago.

Hmm, the New Hackersā€™ Dictionary suggests the original by Hastings and Tarr is 1983. See here, here (as Vax Wars) or just a little longer here (collected by Barak Pearlmutter at decvax!cwruecmp!pearlmut):

It is a period of system war. User programs, striking from a hidden directory, have won their first victory against the evil Administrative Empire. During the battle, User spies managed to steal secret source code to the Empireā€™s ultimate program: the Are-Em Star, a privileged root program with enough power to destroy an entire file structure. Pursued by the Empireā€™s sinister audit trail, Princess _LPA0: races aboard her shell script, custodian of the stolen listings that could save her people, and restore freedom and games to the networkā€¦

Thereā€™s an unattributed 1982 DEC Wars posted to net.misc:

Have you ever wondered what happened to all those characters eaten by arpavax? Well, we found most of them loitering around on our system, taking up disk space. So weā€™re putting them back out on the net where they belong. Any resemblence to events real or imagined is purely intentional.

(via LWN)

And hereā€™s " DEC WARS anthology" (a 1982 post to net.sources) by Alan Hastings himself, I think.

I see Eric S Raymond posted in 1983 to misc.wanted and comp.unix.questions a document ā€œUnix Warsā€ intended as an improvement or sequel or something:

Subject: UNIX Wars! (was: Re: Wanted - DEC WARS)
Summary: Hereā€™s an ā€˜enhanced versionā€™ I came up with once

If anyone knows who wrote the original ā€˜DEC Warsā€™, please tell meā€¦Iā€™d like to try to publish this thing, properly giving credit to the originator.

2 Likes