Commodore 1541/1581 emulator for the Raspberry Pi

Interesting. A real-time, cycle accurate Commodore 1541/1581 emulator.

Pi1541

Commodore 1541/1581 emulator for the Raspberry Pi

Pi1541 is a real-time, cycle exact, Commodore 1541 disk drive emulator that can run on a Raspberry Pi 3A, 3B or 3B+. The software is free and I have endeavored to make the hardware as simple and inexpensive as possible.

Pi1541 provides you with an SD card solution for using D64, G64, NIB and NBZ Commodore disk images on real Commodore 8 bit computers such as;- Commodore 64 Commodore 128 Commodore Vic20 Commodore 16 Commodore Plus4

See www.pi1541.com for SD card and hardware configurations.

2 Likes

Very nice - another bare metal Pi project, like PiTubeDirect (which gets a mention) but this time in C++. It emulates the drive’s 6502 and two 6522s with cycle accuracy, so it can handle any uploaded code, such as a fast loader or a filesystem patch. Including use of the 6502’s undocumented opcodes, by the look of it.

I like these baremetal Pi projects not only because they provide a wonderful solution to some problem, but also because they showcase that the Pi is not just for running a desktop OS, and, potentially, they show off the kind of cycle-counting assembly code programming which we all recognise from the 8-bit generation and The Story of Mel and any number of bootloaders.

I have been looking into that project for some time now. There are tons of those PI-Hats that you can buy these days. Single or dual DIN connector’s, LED display’s and tons of different cases. So far I am relying on SD2IEC and old school datasette drive.

1 Like