BMC64: a bare metal fork of VICE's C64 emulator optimized for the Raspberry Pi 3

Via Hacker News

https://accentual.com/bmc64/

BMC64 is a bare metal fork of VICE’s C64 emulator optimized for the Raspberry Pi 3. (It will also work on RPi 2 and Zero models with reduced performance for some features.) It has 50hz/60hz smooth scrolling, low video/audio latency and a number of other features that make it perfect for building your own C64 replica machine.

3 Likes

Notably, VIC-20, C128, +4, and PET emulation is bundled, as well.

1 Like

Sounds pretty good - and the precedent of taking an application like VICE and porting it to bare metal is surely useful to others. But 4 seconds to boot isn’t quite the retro experience!

When hardware starts to get complex…

My own bare-metal Pi framework also takes a second or 2… and a lot of that is just initialising the USB hardware and hub. It’s faster on a Pi Zero with no hub…

-Gordon

Depends on the hardware. Anything with a disk to load from took a few seconds. Or if it was a C64+1541, a few seconds times a lot

I’ve met the author of BMC64 a few times at various World of Commodore events. While it’s a bare-metal port of VICE at heart, quite a bit of work has gone into making it responsive, especially on composite video CRT displays. A lot of original Commodore machines have failing hardware, and this was an attempt to bring snappy emulation without hardware heartbreak.

Randy’s also responsible for the VIC-II Kawari, an FPGA-based VIC-II replacement for C64s. Very clever stuff.

1 Like

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/owlrop … ndm/shared

I Buy this old floppy disk drive usb…inside there is floppy disk with format fat and inside a d64 file…but with BMC64 don’t see this drive…only SD…why???

in BMC64 don’t read nothing only SD but when I connect a usb key read all…why???
in windows I format the floppy in fat…and read the files correctly…

there are disk drive usb floppy compatible with BMC64 and no???
thanks

No, BMC64 is a bare-metal emulator. It only knows about files on its SD card, and can’t communicate with your floppy drive

2 Likes

thanks…no way right???
but with THEC64 works fine??? but BMC64 no !!!

Randi Rossi’s BMC64 is a labour of love created to provide extremely low latency Commodore emulation on the Raspberry Pi. It succeeds in that extremely well. It’s also free.

THEC64 is a commercial product that leverages (some might say rips off) the GPL VICE emulation suite running on a small Linux board. Its game timing is not that accurate, but it will work with a huge number of USB storage devices because it’s running Linux.

While BMC64 does support USB memory sticks for storing data, it doesn’t — and can’t — support floppies. BMC64 only understands FAT32 file systems. MS-DOS floppies are FAT12, so won’t work.

1 Like

thanks scruss :(:(----- sadness