Anyone know of these systems?

As I slowly get a cross compiler generating native .o files working by reverse engineering the Uniflex linker tools, I came across an interesting list of machine configurations embedded in the binary that this toolchain supports. I used the SWTPc 6800 back in the day, but the others I don’t know of…ring any bells?

0 = unknown
     1 = Momentum Hawk
     2 = Pixel 100
     4 = Tektronix 4404
     5 = TSC SBC
     6 = Tektronix CBI
     7 = Force CPU-3V
     8 = VME/10
     9 = Ironics IV1600
	10 = Gimix GMX-20
	11 = NCR Tower
	12 = Gimix MICRO-20
	13 = SWTPc SB68K
	14 = VTM-1000
	15 = Tektronix 4406
	17 = SWTPcVME System
	64 = Gimix MICRO-20 (non-MMU)
type or paste code here

The Force CPU sounds familiar, hadn’t we those before (in the context of microprocessor systems)?

Perhaps of interest, from UniFLEX News - Summer 1989

For users who build sophisticated custom systems, UniFLEX is has become a very popular choice for VMEbus sytems. It has been ported to a variety of single board VMEbus computers from vendors such as Motorola, Force Computers, and Ironics. In addition, off-the-shelf drivers exist for more than 35 VMEbus boards including SCSI, ESDI, and SMD disk drives, serial ports, streaming-tape and 9-track tape drives, array processors, analog I/O boards, graphics controllers, and Ethernet cards.

VME/10 is a Motorola VME based computer, it can run Unix, CP/M 68K or versaDOS.
An emulator exists for Windows, I use it with versaDOS.
Several of us are looking for a C compiler for versaDOS. Is your cross-compiler a C compiler?

Force CPU-3V is a 68010 VME board

1 Like

The Tektronix 4404 and 4406 I thought rang bells, though I never personally used them, but because of the Tektronix graphics still supported in xterm – but when I looked those up, they were even wilder: thy were Smalltalk workstations! Tektronix Smalltalk Workstations (4400 and 4300 Series) | Rare & Old Computers

The NCR Tower I have also heard of, one of the very early Unix workstations, also run on m68k like the Tektronixes. Tektronixen?

1 Like

More info on the 4404:

https://groups.google.com/g/net.works/c/K5i_oHCJuAk?pli=1

1 Like

I see now we did have a previous thread:
Smalltalk on the 68000, by Tektronix

Yeah they’re pretty cute machines. I am restoring a couple of 4404s here in the UK.

1 Like

I am using the gcc-cross-m68k toolchain. However this puts out ELF .o files so I am in the process of writing a converter from .o to .r (native relocatable files on the Tek4404). With zero documentation on the format, I am spending a lot of time with a HexEditor staring at relocation records! :slight_smile:

(The goal is to build gcc1.27 for the Tektronix 4404 using cross compiling so I have a decent C compiler)

SWTP is better known as one of the very first commercial micro vendors. They hitched their cart to the wrong horse though, and the 6800 was very quickly eclipsed by the 6502 and others. After that they made all sorts of things, but I was unaware they were still around in the 68k era! The VME would imply it’s a 68k based system.

Momentum Hawk was a generic 68k Unix box.

Ironics IV was a series of related models in VME. The numbers at the end are the model number, you’ll have more luck finding stuff if you remove them and just leave the roman numerals. Given the model number, this was an early model, later ones were 32xx and 900x.

The VTG Pixel 100 was from Instrumentation Laboratories Inc. It was a beer-fridge sized mini apparently aimed at lab settings. It had a whole load of RS-232’s on the back, full 25-pin ones no less.

Gimix made 68020+68881 based single-board computers that had their own connectors for other cards they made. I don’t know what the difference between the GMX and MICRO models might be though.

TSC, short for Technical Systems Consultants, was similar to GMX, making single-board systems. The only one I have found online are 6800 and 6809 cards. I assume they moved to 68k later.

FORCE Computers made single-board machines based on SPARC. Given this list, perhaps this is referring to an earlier 68k system.

NCR made a series of multi-68k machines called Tower. They were among the first companies to enter this space, in 1982.

1 Like