Acorn's Gluon project

This 1982 profile of Acorn’s Chris Curry mentions Gluon as a forthcoming 32016 (or 16032) product. As we now know, Acorn never shipped a product called Gluon, or a second processor made as a peripheral for other 8 bit micros. And the Unix for Acorn’s machine (Xenix) didn’t arrive either - PANOS was shipped instead. But the ns32k as a second processor for the Beeb was shipped, and the Acorn Cambridge Workstation integrated it (although I think it sold very poorly.)

Here’s PANOS on a second processor:

Here’s an Acorn Cambridge Workstation (inside and out):

Here’s Chris’ Acorns on the ACW.

3 Likes

Advert for the Acorn Cambridge Workstation from New Scientist via 4corn website:

via this thread, which has more info.

1 Like

Visiting the New Scientist page, I found a peculiar advert from 1992 for the Acorn Assist financing program: https://www.4corn.co.uk/articles/printedvert/i/19921208G.jpg – Can I see there some kind of Apple Picasso theme going on or was this a more common Acorn style?

That advert is very much an outlier, I’d say. There’s an excellent collection of adverts and commentaries at Nosher.

1 Like

There’s an early glimpse of a 16032 second processor in this 1984-ish promo video - cued up to 5m35.
Acorn Computers - Business Promo Video - Circa 1984

1 Like