Windows 95/NT 3.51 quick keyboard layout switching

I have a laptop from 1999 with Windows NT 3.51 on it which I would like to use for distraction-free writing. I have Office installed and it works fine; that’s all well and good. The problem I’ve encountered is that I need to be able to switch back and forth between English and Russian keyboards for the writing that I’ll be doing, but NT 3.51 only allows the user to have 1 layout at a time. Of course, there’s a switch in the Control Panel to change keyboard layouts, but having to switch over, change the selected layout, and then apply the changes breaks my workflow, so it’s not an acceptable long-term solution.

As such, I’m wondering if any software exists for NT 3.51/4.0/Win95 (which as I understand it are mostly compatible) to enable fast switching between multiple chosen layouts, e.g. by keyboard shortcuts or a button on the taskbar (my system has Newshell), or failing that, if anyone has tips for writing a script/program to address this problem — unfortunately, I’m really only familiar with programming Unix-likes, not Windows and especially not old versions. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Welcome! Quite a niche question, and I’m afraid I can’t help. If it turns out no-one here can help, it’s probably worth asking elsewhere - perhaps the VCFed forums, or the Retrocomputing Stack Exchange?

1 Like