Turtle Graphics in BASIC - 40+ years ago and now

A bit of 40 years ago I was introduced to Logo and turtle graphics - I didn’t care much for Logo but the Turtle Graphics really interested me - so I wrote my own Turtle Graphics interpreter… In (Applesoft) BASIC, as we did back then…

And when 12 or so years later I wanted to write my own “ideal” BASIC, I incorporated Turtle commands into the language…

And so, for your amusement I made a little video of that old Apple II system and my new system running a few very simple Turtle graphics demos…

Cheers,

-Gordon

7 Likes

That final demo - animating by clearing and redrawing, in a Basic - that’s very impressive.

2 Likes

“Is that useful? I don’t know.”

That’s the story of my computing experience, in a nutshell.

Beautifully done, thank you!

2 Likes

That’s rather lovely! I’m amazed at how fast your parser was in AppleSoft BASIC: speedy it isn’t. If you ever feel the urge to share the Apple II program, I’d be happy to upload a disk image to Internet Archive so people could play with it in the browser …

As for useful, I’ve used the output from Python’s turtle module and from UCBLogo to drive laser cutters. I think MMBasic for various micro-controller boards includes turtle graphics, if anyone feels the need to trundle a virtual turtle

Thanks.

I’ll need to investigate how to get it off an Apple floppy and onto something else (other than printing it to a serial port!) I think ADT is the software to use there though…

Cheers,

-Gordon

2 Likes

Yes, ADTPro is little short of magic. While serial is quicker, it can also work over audio

Thanks.

I have a raycasting demo in BASIC which achieves about 10-12fps on a Pi 1B - it’s fast enough to write a ‘Wolfenstein’ type game on a modern PC… With tweaks, DOOM written in BASIC? :wink:

Cheers,

-Gordon

2 Likes

Ah. now I have a lasercutter … and back then I did make it output to a pen plotter via serial and the code for that is still there… How hard can it be …

Although I’ve always wanted to make a ‘real’ turtle… One day!

Cheers,

-Gordon

1 Like