TR4 - 52 bits wide, transistor based, from 1962

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself thread: @dtmb mentions working with the TR-4…

… and it seems to have been a most remarkable machine. Not least remarkable because it features not once but twice as a machine to run chess programs on:

Fischer-Schneider, the first German chess program developed since 1965 by two math students at University of Stuttgart, Hans-Jochen Schneider and Kurt Fischer. Initially written in a assembly language dubbed TEXAS (Telefunken Externcode Assembler) for a Telefunken TR-4 mainframe computer

Helmut Richter, a German computer scientist and as computer chess programmer author of one of the first German chess programs, Schach MV 5,6. In 1971, Richter started the development on a Telefunken TR-4 and TR 440 mainframe, continuing with a PDP-10. Schach MV 5,6, containing about 5000 Fortran statements, was subject of his diploma thesis

(I do like the chess programming wiki - every computer there is a chess computer!)

About the machine itself:

36 TR-4 computers were manufactured and delivered mostly to West-German universities and public authorities and their associated data centers.
The computer had a word size of 52 bits, consisting of 48 data bits, 2 type bits (floating/integer/instruction/packed string) and 2 bit checksum, checksum errors causing interrupts. ALU and registers were build in discrete transistor technique running at 2 MHz, main memory consists of up to 28,672 words of core memory and 4096 words of semiconductor memory.

3 Likes

I still have a few memorabilia from the TR 4, like some card decks and program listings. And I also found my excerpt from the operator’s manual: Here is a picture of the first page.

Nowhere described but known to all operators were the patterns of the lamp field for certain internal states. For example, you could immediately see if a program was hanging in an infinite loop.

4 Likes

And another gem from the Telefunken computer forge: Yesterday, an retired engineer has passed to the Nixdorf museum (HNF - Heinz Nixdorf MuseumsForum - The world´s biggest computer museum in Paderborn) one of the last four existent mices (in german “Rollkugelsteuerung”), developed in the late sixties for the model TR 440, successor of the model TR 4. Source:
ZEIT ONLINE | Lesen Sie zeit.de mit Werbung oder im PUR-Abo. Sie haben die Wahl.. wide__820x461|690x387

2 Likes