Thoughts on the 10000th of September

A perspective on the phenomenon of Eternal September:
Thoughts on the 10000th of September

Today, the 16th day of January 2021, is the ten-thousandth day of September 1993.

1 Like

In 1992 I wrote a MUD (Multi-User-Dungeon) program and it was live on what there was of the Internet back then. I got complaints from the sysadmin about the strain it was putting on the companys 56Kbps Internet connection at the time… I had to limit the number of simultaneous users to under 50 - at its peak (which was end of '93) there was well over 150 people playing it at peak times - almost all from US universities.

It was fun but also quite stressful too.

I called it The Land of Drogon - an anagram of Gordon which I now use as my online ‘handle’ in quite a few places now.

-Gordon

2 Likes

There are now more internet users who were born after September 1993 than there ever were before it. They’re doing more and better things than any of us olds thought that the internet could possibly do. Heck, there are even internet users who are children of internet users born after September 1993. It never was our lawn to yell about.

If you’ll excuse me, there’s a cloud looking at me funny and I must chastise it before my afternoon nap. But at least I remembered to put two spaces after every period in this post.

2 Likes