The SmartyKit Apple 1 Compatible

So I thought that the SmartyKit Apple 1 compatible had been mentioned here before, but a search doesn’t find it. The general idea seems to be that it’s a 6502-based system that you build on a breadboard to learn more about 8-bit-style computing.

What information there is about it (on their web site and GitHub repos) seems quite incomplete, and it seems to use a lot of parts compared to something like the RC6502 SBC or Amethyst. Here’s a sort of parts list and an image from their site:

Generator (IC1) • CPU 6502 (IC2) • Read/write signals decoder (IC3) • RAM (IC4) • ROM (IC5) • Memory addresses decoder (IC6 & IC7) • Keyboard controller (IC8) • Display port (IC9) • Ports addresses decoder (IC10 & IC11) • Video controller (IC12) • Keyboard port (IC13) • Keyboard BIT 7 port (IC14) • Display BIT 7 port (IC15)

I’m mentioning this now because they’re doing a webinar on April 11th, at 11:00 PST. I am not too likely to make that event, because it’s at 3 a.m. my time, but if anybody else wants to watch it and report back, I’d be very interested in hearing about what transpired.

No need to be harsh. It’s a fun little kit.

1 Like

Please do expand on that!

Yes, I concur, @marcelk! It’s a challenge to make a business from this kind of offering, but good luck to them.

It’s also a challenge to solve the two problems which they’ve solved with microcontrollers: keyboard and video. Of course, both could be solved using 74 series chips, but that would be a particular tradeoff and would increase the parts count and cost. So, as with all projects, they make the tradeoffs they feel are right, and launch.

The Apple I is a nice choice of target machine: it’s a known quantity, it’s historically identifiable, it’s a usable specification, it’s simple. This choice should help with marketing.

It’s such a hazard, with projects of all sorts, to suffer feature-creep and end up over-ambitious. Looks like they’ve avoided that, now we have to see if they’ve picked a winning combination in their spec.

1 Like

This topic was automatically opened after 24 hours.

Apple 1 parts can be found here ( No PCB or ROMS)
https://unicornelectronics.com/

So I did hit up the webinar, and Steve Wozniak showed up and talked quite extensively! More on that here.

I’ll try to get around to posting my notes on the Smartykit itself (along with image captures) soon.

Did anybody else attend?

1 Like