The Factor machines from Telesincro of Catalunya

The Factor-P from 1966, a wired-program desk-sized machine perhaps best viewed as a programmable calculator:

The successor machines Factor-Q, Factor-R and Factor-S were increasingly sophisticated, with the S model being a stored-program machine, having 2k to 8k of memory and 32k of drum storage - a first in Europe and ahead of its time.

More on all the Factor machines here including these images:

and these on the Factor-T:

and see also the Catalan wikipedia:

See also this article:

In 1972, TELESINCRO had 16% of the Spanish market and ranked third in sales of office computers in Spain over its competitors. In addition, they sold a model in Portugal and France.

2 Likes

Any idea of what the I/O devices used for a character set?
ALGOL development was delayed so long with Europe and the US
fighting over Acent Marks, decmial point and keywords being high lighted
over normal text (STILL IN UPPER CASE ONLY), that C ended up being
the only new programing language for the MASSES.

"The Quixotes that created the first programming language in Spanish "
Telesincro, the pioneering Spanish company that manufactured the first national commercial computers, set itself an ambitious project to emulate IBM: to create a programming language in Spanish. The SBOL would serve to tame the Factor-S, a revolutionary computer for the time. “When I think of those times, I imagine all of us as a kind of Quixote making computers in Spain,” says SBOL’s father. They achieved their goal, but the project failed.

1 Like

The lineup porvides a nice impression of the development of computer aesthetics and product design.

1 Like