Strange Computers of the 70's

Has anyone here seen this video?

2 Likes

Oh, nice find, some very interesting machines picked out there. From the transcript:

There were plenty of fascinating steps along the way to the famous Apple II, TRS-80 and Commodore PET.
The CTC Datapoint 2200.
The Triumph-Adler TA-1000.
The MCM/70.
The SWTPC TV Typewriter… not exactly a computer.
The Xerox Alto.
The IASIS ia-7301… came packaged in a three-ring binder alongside a 250-page programming course.
The ISC Compucolor II.
The APF Imagination Machine.
The Seattle Computer Products Gazelle.

Oops, a few more machines featured visually but not called out in the transcript:

• PTC SOL 20
  • IBM 5100
  • KENBAK-1

(Ha - you almost got me there. But I checked my YouTube history before clicking on the video, and I see that it’s there - so probably I have watched it.)

1 Like

Ya, that was an interesting video.

My Dad’s school got an IBM 5100 donated to them (complete with the 8" floppy drive). We could never get it to work, though.

My high school had an OSI Challenger that they kept locked away from students (even thought it was for us to use).

2 Likes

Another to add to the list is the Terak.

I worked in a lab at Edinburgh University as part of a summer job in 1980 and they had a couple there - along with Apple IIs and a few others - the key thing was that every system in that lab was running the UCSD P-System.

I’ve not seen on since …

-Gordon

3 Likes

I seem to remember someone from here posting about the LGR video series. I wasn’t sure, but decided to post this one anyway. He also did something similar for 80’s and 90’s computers as well.

Here’s the 80’s video, because, who doesn’t love the sight of a Holborn or of the Apricot… (quite an alternative to the beige boxes regime)…

1 Like

Another chance find is the K-202 - which is a 16-bit TTL Polish built machine from about 1973. It had a 1uS cycle time and 7 general purpose registers, making it slightly like a PDP-11.

We discussed it over on the anycpu forum some months ago

http://anycpu.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=464&p=3123&hilit=TTL+computer#p3123

Although built in Poland it was to be marketed from the UK by MB Metals Ltd. - a company close to Brighton on the South coast of England.

Wikipedia link here:

And English language user guide:

http://www.zenker.poznan.pl/k-202/dokumentacja/k-202-reklama-ang.pdf

It bears some resemblance to a Data General Nova - large pcbs in a stand alone desktop case, with toggle switches on the front panel, and a large rotary selector knob, to view the contents of any of the registers.

There are schematics, a user manual and some youtubes available - follow the links on the anycpu forum.

3 Likes

There will be a Terak 8510 for sale at VCF West in California, USA, this weekend. Fortunately, I won’t be there :slight_smile:

2 Likes