Soviet Era Eastern Bloc Computing Questions

I know that copies/clones of western machiens existed. Heck I wanna say they made a micro-variant of the PDP-11.

I do know that they experimented in trinary (though I forget what/if anything it’s useful for in spite of all the down sides.

Just, given everything going on in the world and the iron curtain slamming down again? Seemed topical from a hardware, software, and sociological perspective.

We’ve certainly touched on this theme - searching the forum for past threads is often fruitful, I’ve often forgotten things that I’ve certainly read. I can think of three or four keywords which would bring results.

Here are some threads which turn up:

I’m sure there’s more!

Edit: there is more:

And then, if looking for reading material for further research, this might be a good starting point:

6 Likes

well, now i feel stupid.

Sorry to point out the obvious (I am “that guy”, I guess), but there is History of computing in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia which seems to have a decent collection of pointers.

1 Like

Sorry @Singletona that wasn’t my aim! I was a bit surprised myself at the number of hits for my searches. Which is a good sign about the health of this forum: intentionally it’s a discussion space with a record, so the back-catalogue is part of the aim. It’s also a bad sign about my memory!

1 Like

A emulator of a Soviet computer design, a trinary 6502.
http://tunguska.sourceforge.net/docs.html

1 Like

For myself, I don’t have any direct experience of the Soviet computing story - other than seeing the BESM machine in London’s Science Museum - but I do like to look at computer history as widely as I can, and I do tend to react against a US-centric telling of the story.

I have wondered about buying one of the Elektronika RPN calculators, but it would be a real struggle to use it, and I probably wouldn’t!

1 Like