Q1 – the first microcomputer? (video)

This may be interesting: Bernardo Kastrup (The Byte Attic) has found a new project, reverse engineering the Q1, a very early microcomputer, which was originally released in 1972 as a 8008 based machine and later revised to use the Z80 as its MPU. Apparently, there are only two known survivors, one of them Bernardo’s machine (which he plans to donate to a Dutch computer museum) and another at the Dalby Datormuseum (apparently, this one is even to have). However, Bernardo may change this, as he planning to release a modern replica version of the Q1, based on the reverse engineering he’s going to do. (If anyone knows anything about this machine or even has any documentation, I guess, Bernardo would be happy to hear from you.)

Can’t wait to see this plasma display glow again…

Related links:

1 Like

Who cares about the 8008? It looks to be The First Microcompturer with Floppy drives.
That concept of having a smart terminal was a nice idea at time. Basic and APL also came
about the same time in 8008 version, but I think only with cassete tape i/o.
Do we have lower case?
Ben.

The Q1/Lite described in the brochure came with PL/1, did networking and there were even bubble memory modules. This was more like a serious mini, but built using microprocessor technology.
Or, looking at it the other way round, it seems to have done much of what the IBM 5100 came to do, and more (e.g., PL/1: “This powerful programming language of the IBM 370 is available at the point-of-use with the Q1/Lite microcomputer system.”). If you squint (hard), it may be even somewhat portable. :slight_smile:

As there was a rather serious looking printer and the disk format seems to be related to the S/370, I’d guess it does lower case, at least internally.

1 Like