Programming an Apple // Emulator for eMate

I’ve written to a Newton programmer about how to create an Apple //E emulator, and got some good tips.Any other advice? (Side Note: one of my friends doesn’t understand why I want to do this, or even why I bought an eMate. He also thinks that all emulators have viruses in them, and the only way to go is buy the latest tech and software. Maybe I need to get a new friend?)

3 Likes

Different friends for different conversations! Not everyone will understand every aspect of our complex selves.

For context:

Power came from built-in rechargeable batteries, which lasted up to 28 hours on full charge. In order to achieve its low price, the eMate 300 did not have all the features of the contemporary Newton equivalent, the MessagePad 2000. The eMate used a 25 MHz ARM 710a RISC processor and had less memory than the MessagePad 2000 which used a StrongARM 110 RISC processor and was more expandable.

I’ve written to a Newton programmer about how to create an Apple //E emulator, and got some good tips.

So, you’re wanting to create an Apple IIe emulator to run on an eMate? Is that correct?

Have you managed to contact Peter Liethen of Two In Hand fame … or is this another developer?

I’m very curious about this, as I run the NewtonTalk mailing list.

1 Like

I managed to get in contact with the man who wrote the emate emulator for Windows, and he gave me a lot of good advice. I tried tracking down Mr.Liethen, without much luck. Apparently, Two in Hand is vaporware.

The main reason I want to write an Apple //e emulator is so that the plethora of educational software for the //e could be used on what was supposed to be an educational laptop. I found that there was little to no educational software for the eMate.