My 5volt VIC-II adaptor for 12volt boards prototype

This is my prototype adaptor, that makes a 12volt Commodore64 board able to run with a 5volt VIC-II chip. For stuff like testing if a VIC-II chip is working, when only a 12volt board is at hand. Need further polishing, and I have not actually tested it. Yeah… I know it is a quick and dirty creation.

1 Like

I like to see simple functional gadgets! I suppose the added height means this is only for an open-case machine? Or is there space in a breadbox?

It is only a concept or prototype if you like. And because it is simple, then it should be easy to make it shorter in height. I have ordered a different kind of socket, 10 in all, in order to make more. This is mostly for testing, like I wrote in the first place. :wink:

Just a note of a possible hazard: there are evidently different types of sockets, and I believe the ones used in Acorn’s Beeb get over-stretched if you put a turned-pin socket into them. Once you’ve done that, you have to continue to use the turned-pin socket - if you put a chip in directly, it makes bad contact and you have an unreliable machine.

Yup. I am aware of the issues. Yet I can always desolder the old socket and fix any damage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is working now…

2 Likes

After long due, I have finally finished two lower profiled adaptors…

First picture is the bottom part. I have isolated pin number 13 by rasping it off.

Then connected the two pins on the top part of the adaptor.

I pushed the two parts together…

I made two adaptors while I was at it…

And a shot more, of the other side…

I hope this will be at some help for others that want to have a 5volt Vic-II in a 12volt board without wanting to do any mod to the main/system-board it self.

1 Like

Just as a proof your warning wasn’t without merit, I actually didn’t know this. Thanks!

Sockets are cheap, plenty and all over the place.