Metric DIP sockets

Greetings all.

The Googles have failed me for this, and probably a bit of a long shot, but I’m looking for 64 pin DIP sockets that have 2.5 mm pitch, not the usual 2.54 mm. Apparently a few of the Eastern Bloc IC manufacturers were into metric long before the Americans. :slight_smile: Ultimately I’d really like a ZIF socket in that pitch, but that would really be pushing my luck (and will eventually need the regular IC sockets anyway). I have thought of individually filing back a strip of machine pins, but would still need something for the pins to be physically connected to.

Cheers,
Daryl.

1 Like

Difficult question… I would certainly think of looking in the Russian sphere of influence. What’s the row spacing you need? That might be a good search term. It’s possible that some 2.54mm parts are mis-labelled as 2.5mm which would give you a false positive.

That said, this 0712662132271 might be the right pin pitch? (40 pin strip header, 2.5mm)

Hi Ed.

Yeah, I’ve seen a few mislabeled 2.54 mm as 2.5 mm. Having said that, I did find one potential hit in the Russian section of Aliexpress (!), but the page appeared stale and the seller no longer exists. The datasheet that was provided did explicitly say the pin width was 2.5 mm though (https://h5.ru.aliexpress.com/item/32825990907.html).

The row spacing appears to be ~ 22.5 mm (as far as my feeble eyes can make out).

I think I’m going to have to fab an adaptor board, which will be my first experience with the overseas hobbyist PCB manufacturers. Something I was hoping to do after the prototype stage. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Daryl.

Oh, the dimensions on that linked image are hilarious! Nothing adds up in a convincing way… most measurements are to 0.1mm but an irrelevant plastic strut width is measured down to 0.01mm.

Experience here in the UK with the cheap and rapid PCB services from China is very good. (JLCPCB for example, also Seeed, and OSHPark) You usually get 5 or 10 pieces (and might need it - check the board before starting to solder.)

1 Like