MalayBook: Special version of the Psion netBook produced for schools in Malaysia

I was pointed to this link after I posted on Facebook about an (unrelated) news item about the RaspPi being distributed to students in Malaysia. Apparently, this was a previous effort. This article touches briefly on that failed Psion effort, while providing some resources for the care and feeding on your Psion netBook.

The MalayBook is a very slightly modified version of the standard Psion netBook, originally produced for a large special project in schools in Malaysia and not originally intended for retail sale. It has essentially the same functionality as the standard netBook and works with all the same accessories and peripherals (so far as I know). After the school project in Malaysia was discontinued, large numbers of surplus MalayBooks in new or seemingly-new condition came onto the surpplus market for less than half the price of “standard” Psion netBooks.
[…]
As of 2020, I know from the traffic and downloads of files form this section of my Web site that there are still people using malyaBooks [sic] and netBooks. I don’t actively maintain this page, and for archival use and as finding aids I’ve kept some links that I know are broken. If you can provided updated URLs for any broken links below, please let me know.

1 Like

I didn’t quite become a netbook owner, although I know someone with one which I might yet see if I can acquire. I notice you can buy a Psion netBook for £200 here - and they also have Psion 3 for as little as £50, if that’s your preference.

1 Like