HP 250, a multi-user BASIC system

Here’s a Basic computer, from HP, from 1978

The HP 250 was designed to be a user-installable, multi-user system. It ran BASIC system software and could support up to 10 users. The original 250 came with an expansive cabinet that included a keyboard built in to the desktop and a terminal monitor that could slide along the desktop and swivel. The 250 came standard with 32K RAM expandable to 64K, dual eight inch floppy drives, HP-IB interface and a 2631A printer.

Not 100% sure what user-installable means - I suppose it means no installation team, no raised floor, no white coats for operators.

Do click the link and read the article:

The 250 is designed to communicate with “workstations” and with “terminals”. “Workstations” are the three consoles identified above. A “workstation” is required for the 250 to boot. Once booted, the 250 will happily communicate with almost any terminal including 262X, 264X, 2392, 2382, HP 150, 700/XX, etc. Unfortunately, these common terminals cannot be used to boot a 250. By contrast, the 260 will boot using almost any terminal.

We spent over 150 man hours testing alternative terminals as “workstations” in attempting to get the 250 to boot. Below is a summary of our attempts…

(Image from hpmuseum.net)

3 Likes

Oooh! I wish I were using that RIGHT NOW.