History of Operating System Concepts (Dinosaurs book)

Here’s a clip from the contents of the 8th edition:

Here’s the 9th:

Here’s the 10th:

But in the 5th edition - available to borrow at the Internet Archive - I see rather more of the history in the body of the text, specifically in the bibliographical notes at chapter ends (13 mentions of Atlas). Also we have

In the 3rd edition - borrow here - we get 17 mentions of Atlas.

I wondered what the early and other systems were.
The preview on the Internet archive is very limited, but I found a full edition elsewhere.
Very disappointing. Just some few lines. And 2 other systems (MCP for Burroughs and SCOPE for CDC 6600).
Early systems have some more lines and is separated by dedicated, shared systems and those with overlapped i/o. But I haven’t found any OS mentioned just 2 machines.

I don’t like the child-style cover (pictured).
I have checked some chapters (10th ed) and most are very short. So someone has to buy more books anyway and the brief info can easily be found on the web.

The second ed, arrived in the mail today. It covers most general operating system
concepts in general, and a good overview of the older OS’s. I was hoping for more
information on device drivers, but there is nothing but general information. Like all
OS books they push time sharing concepts like virtual memory and swapping.

The book on operating systems I am looking for would be called ‘recursive operating systems’ as that seems to make the most sense in writing a OS. Level 0 would be raw
devices DSK:n TTY:n . Level 1 Fixed length Files and raw device streams. Level 2 Directories and files and redirection. Level 3 Time sharing.

I bought a copy as I had not heard of this before. It looks like a great broad overview. Older, interesting OS chapters have been shed by later editions of the book. It does not have nice, tasty low level details. Such as how to write and process OS interrupts, device drivers, OS boot code, etc.

1 Like

But it states one important development, No Fat table. The FAT concept seems to a rather late idea only with M$ Basic and Dos. I suspect this is because by then did you have the memory for a FAT table for Fixed Disks.