Does serial rs232 db9 female to usb female adapter, connected to gameport db15 to usb adapter, requires an O.S. usb enabled, or It works with Windows 95, DOS and Windows 3.11 for workgroups?

Hi to all: I’ve got two laptops dedicated to retrogaming, I owe a couple of joysticks with the DB15 gameport connector; the laptops both doesn’t have the gameport/midi port, one of them has the serial rs-232, to the other I’m thinking to get a PCMCIA or CARDBUS serial rs-232 port card; does a serial rs232 db9 female to usb female adapter, connected to gameport db15 to usb adapter, requires an O.S. usb enabled and usb drivers or It works with Windows 95, DOS and Windows 3.11 f.w.?

Hello, and welcome.

I’m pretty sure if USB is involved the you need an OS which supports USB. It’s a pretty complicated protocol.

I don’t feel optimistic that you can make any use of an rs-232 serial port to connect your joysticks, even if you can find some chain of adaptors which allow you connect them: serial communications are quite different from what joysticks use.

I think you might need to ask elsewhere, perhaps a retrogaming community, perhaps stackexchange or reddit. But your question, I think, should be more like “how can I connect joysticks to a laptop with no gameport connecter”. I think it’s always better to state your problem, not your best guess at a solution. (I could be wrong: sometimes suggesting the wrong solution will get results.)

1 Like