Connect to a PDP-8/e running TSS/8.24

(You might not be able to connect, because the machine has just 6 serial lines and it’s surely going to be very popular for a day or so…)

* Authorized users only - All activity is monitored.
 * To request access visit https://livingcomputers.org
 * Use ssh [email protected] to connect.
 * Guest access is available:
 * LOGIN 1000 LCML
 * LOGOUT
 * CTRL-] quit to return to the menu
TSS/8.24 running on a PDP-8/e!

You are invited to play on a REAL PDP-8/e running the TSS/8 monitor (TimeSharing System 8) pictured here. There is a user contributed tutorial here:

tss_8 []

To connect, ssh [email protected]

If you are unable to connect that means all 6 (yes, just 6) lines are in use. Remember, this is real hardware and there is NO EMULATION happening. It is the real deal! Enjoy!

via mastodon

4 Likes

This may be an interesting test regarding grown up abilities of retro computerists. (I wonder, how many will try to bring the system down. Statistics may be interesting.)

I tried this and text wouldn’t echo, and the login command they gave did not work (assuming that it was actually taking the characters, and simply not echoing them).

All I got was LOGIN PLEASE repeatedly for my efforts.

I just tried again and it worked for me. Indeed you have to blind type the login command to the . prompt (I tried pasting and I think that didn’t work)
LOGIN 1000 LCML

Time passes…

CRASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR IMPACT CREATED A CRATER 870.9618 FEET DEEP.
AT CONTACT YOU WERE TRAVELING 3088.711 N.MILE/HR

Just don’t try that on REAL hardware. What baud rates can you get?

BTW, I did get bumped off somehow and when I got back in, I was already logged in. So just possibly that was the situation you were in.

Not sure about baud rate but it takes nearly 20 seconds to list the files with
R CAT