C64 SID sounding like a church organ

Pretty amazing sounding work with five tracks featured on the website

About the technology

It struck me that, at least in theory, organ pipes should generate quite primitive sound waves. If so, how come a church organ doesn’t sound like a chip tune, which is also built up from simple waveforms? Well, actually it will, if you remove the church. And if you connect a Commodore 64 home computer to a loudspeaker in a large hall, it will sound like an organ.

So the music on this album is not performed on a pipe organ. Instead, what you hear is the sound of one or two SID chips (controlled by a Commodore 64), enhanced by a convolution reverb to simulate church acoustics.
[…]
This album is an attempt to demonstrate that classical music can indeed be performed by a computer. But the amount of work that goes into programming the computer will never be less than the work that a traditional performer would put into studying the same piece of music.

5 Likes

Indeed, it’s pretty breathtaking to experience the significance of the reverb and artistic articulation. Linus is legendary.

1 Like

The dead giveaway is on the first note of some of the tunes. Then once some harmonies kick in and the reverb it sounds more organ-like.

Pretty impressive though.

After listeing to these on my studio monitors with some power behind them, I have to say, they sound pretty OK, but his reverb choice is awful. It’s not nearly rich and long enough to be a concert hall reverb, and the tail decays suddenly and unnaturally. I’d love to hear them with proper reverb, which I am offering to do for him.

1 Like