Applecorn: Acorn's Beeb ROMs running in Apple //e

A work in progress, plugging Acorn’s software - initially BBC Basic - into the facilities of Apple’s //e. As seen on Stardot and on Github.

Here is an idea I have been toying with. I am wondering how feasible it is to get an Acorn BBC Micro language (say BASIC or LISP for example) to run on a different 6502 machine. The system I have in mind specifically is the Apple //e, which is normally equipped with 128KB of RAM arranged in two banks.
… time passes …
New version just checked in. Now I can also run Forth (so BASIC, COMAL, Forth all working now.)
Next challenge is to get Lisp going!

Applecorn is a ProDOS application for the Apple //e Enhanced which provides an environment for Acorn BBC Microcomputer language ROMs to run. This allows BBC BASIC and other Acorn languages to run on the Apple //e.

4 Likes

Amazing! I may have to connect up one of my Apple IIes to try this out.

1 Like

Um, me too!

Although that might require me to blow some dust off one in the first place…

Actually, I did look at this some time back when I got BBC Basic going on my own Ruby 6502 system, but felt that the hard part was the filing system, not the actual Acorn MOS shim and BBC Basic itself…

-Gordon

Not quite as neat, but there might be some folks here who haven’t used it: 6502 BBC BASIC for Commodore 64.

It’s slightly barebones, but works quite well. Runs about half the speed of a Beeb, which is entirely unsurprising, considering the relative processor speeds.

2 Likes