Ann Arbor Ambassador 60 (green screen text terminal, 80x60)

JWZ has something to show you (confusingly, a portrait screen showing a Matrix effect which makes it look like it’s sideways):

via @cjs in Displays for retro-computing - what do you use?

Here’s the video - one case where portrait-mode video is correct:

4 Likes

I can’t tell how much of that is phosphor persistence and how much is MPEG artifacts, but it seems to have some rather slow phosphors. (jwz mentions this in his writeup.)

1 Like

OK, as an Emacs user with a number of ancient terminals, there are some real gems in that article:

The way terminals deal with this is flow control: either end can say, “Hold up, I am suffering” and data transmission stops until the other side is ready. The proper way to do this over a serial connection is with DSR/DTR lines, which are extra copper on the RS-232 cable, one for each side, that signal when we’re ready to go. But as noted, the not-quite-a-serial-port that Pis have doesn’t have that. Which leaves you with inline flow control, XON and XOFF, typically the ASCII bytes ^S to stop and ^Q to resume.
[…]
So I eventually figured out which sequences were the troublesome ones: for example, I remember that the command for “clear screen and move to the upper left corner” was a command that took the terminal a relatively long time to execute: after all, it had to zero out every one of those 4,800 bytes in the display RAM! This took it, let’s say, 5× as long as simply sending a character to the screen, which means the serial buffer would accumulate a 5 byte debt and eventually fill up. So the fix was to modify the termcap entry to tell it that the clear-screen command should also send 5 NULs! The terminal ignores NULs, those don’t go in the buffer, but they take up time on the serial line, allowing the dislay processor to keep up!

2 Likes

Well, this must be the ultimate Tetris device…