A Commodore 64 Clone With a Working Retro Keyboard Will Finally Arrive This Year

Unlike the previous attempt, this one features a full sized keyboard. [ A Commodore 64 Clone, The C64, Is Coming in December ]

The C64, as the new console is simply known, has the same footprint as the original Commodore 64 that was first released back in 1982. The keyboard appears to have the same layout (and hopefully uses key switches that emulate the feel of the original’s) and that glorious beige finish that screams, “boring ‘80s computer.” It also comes with BASIC pre-installed, and it can be switched between modes that make it function like the classic C64, or even its predecessor, the Commodore Vic 20.

3 Likes

And you can pre-order now!

At least one of those links (I don’t remember which) says orders will ship to US.

1 Like

For me, the breadbox is the C64 I remember - I wonder how many would think first of the later wedge case?

More info on this project:

1 Like

One of the recurring issues in the current C64 “re-imagined” projects is the copyright on the OS (Kernal), and BASIC - with those projects (namely Foenix and X16) steering well clear.

I wonder how these people are getting round that, or are they just quietly ignoring it?

-Gordon

I believe they are in the clear. The website for the project, [ https://retrogames.biz/the-c64 ], says this at the bottom:

CBM 8-Bit ROMs © 1977-1984 Cloanto® Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Furnished under license from Cloanto® Corporation.

The website for C64 Forever [ https://www.c64forever.com/ ] says this about Cloanto:

To allow you to experience and relive the wonders of this unique computer, Cloanto, developers of Commodore/Amiga software since the 1980s, has introduced C64 Forever, the official CBM 8-bit preservation, emulation and support package.

2 Likes

That’s good, but surprising. Mostly because what I read about them (Cloanto®) not even talking to others about licensing the ROMs so I wonder what secret sauce this lot have that the others don’t?

Cheers,

-Gordon

There is a German company that sells a modern C64 motherboard, though we do have to add a few ICs ourselves.

Blockquote For building a C64 computer with this board, you need to supply the key chips on your own:

• CPU 6510 or 8500
  • two pcs. CIA 6526(A) or 8521
  • video chip 6567, 6569, 8565 or 8562
  • one or two sound chips 6581 and/or 8580

I’m liking the idea of that German board. Might have to get one of those.

It depends…
If you ask me what I remember as the Computer, then it will be the breadbox. If you ask me about the experience of using a C64 in the 1980’s. Then I have to say the Model-C.

There is a problem though…

The keycaps them self, are not being produced. Nor have the project of recreating keycaps gone anywere. The second issue is that the VIC-II chip have not been recreated. Yet I know that the talk of an FPGA aproach are in the making, or at least they are talking about it on different forums on the internet.

What you can get…

• C64 Reloaded-MK2 board.
  • PLA (though you do not need one for the reloaded)
  • The keyboard, just not the caps.
  • The case (pixelwizard sell’s them)
  • Tons of different T64 and D64 drive solutions.

You can basically build a new C64 using nearly exclusively new parts. Just keep in mind, that it will be cheaper to wait for the new C64.

Re the keycaps, there’s a recent Indiegogo campaign, now fully funded, for a production run of Commodore 64 keycaps.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keycaps-for-your-commodore-computer#/

1 Like