A built-for-purpose UNIX desktop computer, from AT&T

From 1985, for $5k and up, with a 68010 at 10MHz, 5¼-inch floppy drives, and optional multi-megabyte hard drives - AT&T, and later Olivetti, offer you a computer running UNIX™

The initial PC 7300 model offered a modest 512 KB of memory and a small, low performance 10 MB hard drive… A later enhanced model “3B1” had a full-height 67 MB hard drive and expanded onboard memory to 1 or 2 MB.

The operating system is based on Unix System V Release 2, with extensions from 4.1 and 4.2 BSD, System V Release 3 and Convergent Technologies.

via the PiDP-11 mail list, in response to the unlikely question “Is there such a thing as a Real Unix Computer?”

3 Likes

I appreciate the symmetric keyboard layout (I mean obviously not 100% symmetric but a heck of a lot better than what has become the standard).

The cost is pretty unbearable, though, especially considering the Atari 520ST was 1/10th the price, and the Amiga was 1/5th the price. Neither of them had a third mouse button, though!

I found a good album on flickr with mainly 3B20S (1982) (can’t be found via a Google Image search). Nice lady with matching blue dress

Nice to see something not a IBM,VAX or MOTOROLA from that ERA as CPU.